Arthur Peter Mutharika
The President of the Republic of Malawi
Professor Arthur Peter Mutharika is a Malawian politician, author, educator, lawyer and President of the Republic of Malawi since 31st May 2014 . A Charles Nagel Professor of International Comparative Law, and an International Jurist Awardee 2008, Professor Arthur Peter Mutharika has worked in the area of International Justice across the globe. He is an expert in International Economics law and Comparative constitutional law.
Mutharika received his law degree from the University of London in 1965. He then received his LLM and JSD degrees from Yale University in 1966 and 1969 respectively. As a Professor, he taught at University of Dar es salaam, Tanzania, Haile Sales University, Ethiopia, Rutgers University, USA, The United Nations Institute for Training and Research programme for foreign service from Africa and Asia at Makerere in Uganda and Washington University, USA.
He has also served as an academic visitor at the London School of Economics, UK as well as an advisor to the American Bar Association rule of law initiative for Africa. He also chaired the Institute of Democracy and Policy studies.
He is the current President of the DPP in Malawi. In May 2009, he was elected to the Malawi Parliament as MP for Thyolo East Constituency and he was subsequently appointed by President Bingu Wa Mutharika to the Malawi Cabinet as Minister of Justice and Constitutional Affairs, Minister of Education, Science and Technology and Minister of Foreign Affairs.
He was sworn in as Fifth President of the Republic of Malawi on 31st May 2014 after being elected President in the first Malawi Tripartite Election.
- Honorary degree from Washington University (2018)
- Charles Nagel Professor of International and Comparative Law Emeritus at Washington University in St. Louis School of Law
- Honorary Professorship (2018) from University of International Business and Economics (China)
- International Jurist Award (2008) by the International Council of Jurists for his “unique contribution in the field of legal education.
- Champion for the Replenishment conference of the Global Fund for HIV and AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria, 2018
- Champion for Higher Education in Africa by the Regional Universities Forum for Capacity Building in Agriculture (Ruforum), 2015
- UN Champion for Youth and Demographic Dividend, 2015
- Ambassadorial Country Status Award for progress made in disability policy development, formulation of disability – inclusive laws and mainstreaming of disability rights in all government’s sectors and society, 2016